Always love a good Agatha Christie book, and Poirot is just THE best! I’ve read a few of her most famous novels and decided to read a bit more of the Poirot mysteries. However, this book is not a novel, but rather a collection of short stories, and they were still marvelous.
My edition contained 14 mysteries:
- The Adventure of the Western Star
- The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
- The Adventure of the Cheap Flat
- The Mystery of Hunter’s Lodge
- The Million Dollar Bond Robbery
- The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb
- The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan
- The Kidnapped Prime Minister
- The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim
- The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman
- The Case of the Missing Will
- The Veiled Lady
- The Lost Mine
- The Chocolate Box
All of the mysteries were entertaining, Poirot is as clever as ever and Hastings is his usual baffled self by Poirot’s conclusions.
A couple of stories were a bit predictable, but then the rest were magnificent and they made up for it. My absolute favorites include “The Adventure of the Western Star”, “The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb” where Poirot has a small brush thing to remove sand from his shoes (hilarious as ever!), and “the Chocolate Box” where Poirot recalls an old case to Hastings in which he failed to solve the case correctly.
All in all, I’d say if you’re new to Agatha Christie and don’t know where to start, this collection would be ideal!